Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Dinner Tonight: Cheeseburger Pie

I have a very clear memory of my mother making something like this when I was very young. I remember it involved beef, corn, and Bisquick. I of course developed a serious craving for this while my mother was away on vacation and incommunicado, so I had to make due with creating my own version:

Filling:
1lb ground beef (85-90%)
Rainbow peppers, sliced*
Onions, sliced*
1 can tomato paste
A few shakes garlic powder and cumin
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup cheddar cheese

Topping:
1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 can corn

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cook and drain beef. Add peppers and onions and cook until soft. Add tomato paste, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Spoon into a round pie plate (Pyrex glass plate is perfect).

In a seperate bowl, combine all topping ingredients and stir until no lumps remain. Pour over beef mixture. Bake 35-40 mins or until topping is browned and a toothpick in the middle comes out clean.

No pictures to post of this because it's GONE! DELICIOUS! Chris approved!

*I am an obsessive do-aheader. I like to buy discounted produce, bring it home, slice it and freeze it. I always keep bags of sliced green, red, yellow and orange peppers mixed with sliced onions in my freezer. The ratios aren't always equal but it's usually 1/2 of each pepper mixed with 1/2 an onion. Most veggies freeze beautifully - right now I'm sitting on corn, peppers, zucchini/summer squash, and tomatoes. When I'm ready to cook, pull out the bag and go! Weeknight dinner accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment