Yep. I'm still on chickens.
First of all - the neighbors are into it! I talked to one of our next door neighbors this morning and he was totally enthusiastic. He had been trying to convince his wife about it for weeks! (Chris: Geez, maybe you guys should have married each other and lived in craziness.)
Also, I cruised the City Ordinance website in my town and found that while we're not allowed to have roosters (eh, who needs 'em), we can have up to 5 laying hens in proper housing. Awesome.
Chris suggested that we each make a list - pros and cons of having chickens.
Mine looked like this (notice my uncharacteristic lack of cons):
1) Chickens are great!
2) We spend about $3/week on eggs because I buy specific organic eggs...no eggs from legless birds for us.
3) Fresh eggs have changed my life.
4) It would be a superfun project.
5) It would give our future kids a connection to where their food comes from.
Chris', on the other hand, looked like this:
1) Chickens smell.
2) You will then smell like chickens.
3) We will get divorced.
Hard to argue with. All joking aside, he did bring up a good point - having chickens would 99% ruin a small section of our very meticulous lawn. We don't plan to be in this house forever (tear) and I'm not sure that 'chicken coop' would look tempting on a real estate run sheet. He promised that he would reconsider with me when we move to 'the country'.
For now...I'll start trying to convince our neighbor's wife!
No comments:
Post a Comment