Monday, July 6, 2009

Just So You Know What We Know...

Well, the 4th weekend is over, and our relaxed feeling of calm complacency is replaced with...more waiting. This is the e-mail that I got this morning from our realtor:

Chris and Emily, Good Morning. Hope everyone had a pleasant 4th of July.As you know Chris, I had gone to check out the work that had been done at the property.  As far as I could see the door was changed over and he new banister was also completed. I am not qualified to say the entry staircase is completed, if that is the staircase  (the listing agent) was referring to, however he left me a detailed message yesterday. He said that he is 99% certain that all the work involving the electrical and plumbing is done and is waiting for a substitute inspector to sign off. The original inspector is on vacation. He will keep me posted on when this will occur.  I would assume the occupancy permit is the last step, and soon I hope.

I hope so, too! We are so sick of dragging this issue around. Hopefully this email is an indication that things are getting done. We drove by the house with Matt, Tom and Ashley this weekend and there were work trucks parked out in front. Now, this means one of two things:
a) the guy next door is using our driveway, which is okay as long as he bails when we need it, or b) there were people working on the house on the Friday before the 4th! I'm hoping that it was the electrician doing the final things necessary to get our permit. As long as this "substitute inspector" works out, we should be good to go this week...

But look at my words. "As long as", "99% sure," "hoping", "hopefully." We are running on hope at this point and need some basic facts to help get us through! If we can get a permit this week and our financing can get in line, we should (again, look at the wording. Ugh.) be closing the 24th!

All this drama aside, however, we did have a great 4th weekend with friends. We spent the 3rd with Matt, Tom and Ash at the Samuel Adams Brewery in Jamaica Plain. Great tour and lots of great beer samples! They also had an awesome indoor bar that I would like to replicate in our new home, and which I have already been told is too large for our space. We spent the 4th in the sunshine of Matt's family, and their pool, playing lawn games before the fireworks. The 5th found us back north, to celebrate my youngest sister's 12th birthday and to spend some time with Chris' parents, who are FINALLY back from their vacation to South Carolina. We are so lucky to have the support of friends and family (although everyone feels like family to us!) to help keep our spirits up through this trying time. 

I'll post when I know more. For now, I'll post some pictures that are pre-brew tour. Let's just say that while we may be old enough to buy a house, we're never too old to converge on the ice cream truck...

And I can't lie, it was Matt's idea. :)



1 comment:

  1. Yay! I made it into the blog!! :) As an avid reader of the blog, I am very pleased to see all is well here and I have found my place. :) Miss you buddy and will see you later in the week, I am sure.
    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete