Saturday, July 23, 2011

Dinner Tonight: Barbara's Pulled Pork

My friend Barbara makes the most incredible pulled pork in the slow cooker. Just thinking about it makes me sigh a little. I finally got the recipe from her and I'm making it tonight for a low-key dinner party with friends. It's been cooking for almost two hours now and the smell is heavenly. Enjoy!



Barbara's Carolina Barbecued Pork
(Her instructions in red)

2 onions, quartered
2 T. brown sugar
1 T. paprika
2 tsp salt 
½ tsp pepper
4-6 lb boneless pork butt or shoulder roast (I use a butt)
¾ cup cider vinegar (I use wine vinegar)
4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 ½ tsp sugar
½ tsp dry mustard
½ tsp garlic salt
¼ tsp cayenne pepper

Place onions in a crock pot.  Combine the brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper and rub the mixture over the roast.  In a bowl, combine the vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, mustard, garlic salt and cayenne pepper.  Mix well.  Drizzle ½ of vinegar mixture over the roast.  Cover and refrigerate the remaining mixture to use later.  Cover, and cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours.  Shred the meat and chop the onions to serve.  Use the remaining vinegar mixture to drizzle over the pork.

I use all the vinegar mixture when I make this.  It’s great to set to cook when you are off to work in the morning.  And your house smells sooo good when you get home.  Some people like a little barbecue sauce on the side when it’s served.

No comments:

Post a Comment