Sunday, July 3, 2011
Call Me Unamerican
You know what? I kind've hate the 4th of July.
First of all, it has to do with my loathing of parades. As an alumnae of not one but two marching bands, I was subjected to all sorts of heat and weather while marching down strange roads in a wool uniform. Parades seem so militaristic and...German. The parade in our town always includes the sheriff's 'mobile taskforce', which Chris and I always laugh about - it's more of a warning than a parade.
I also have a deep fear of fireworks. This was much worse when I was younger - I can handle fireworks from a long distance now - but I still freak out if people are setting off their own. The 4th also made the game 'gunshots or fireworks' that much more confusing at our old apartment.
BBQ's are fun, especially if someone with a pool invites you over. And it's nice to see people getting together, having a good time. I took a class last week with a woman who was telling us about the festivities in her town - two nights of fireworks, a road race AND a speed-walking race, tons of competitions and activities for kids that bring the community together. It sounded really fun, actually, and I made myself a mental note to check it out in a clandestine fashion (seeing as we're not residents). But for now, I'll keep bah-humbuging away about Uncle Sam and apple pie and all that jazz.
Our direct protest to the 4th celebrations has been to spend the entire weekend working slavishly on the house. Pictures of our new brick deck landing to follow!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment