Sunday, August 28, 2011

Porch Progress

Well, the Craigslist gods have again shown me their kindness, because...

WE GOT OUR PORCH FURNISHED!



I found this set listed for $400 on craigslist and offered $250. (I later found it brand-new on walmart.com for about $400, so I'm glad I lowballed). For that price I got the chairs, loveseat, cushions, four throw pillows, and rug. The black table was a yard sale find for $20, and the blue stripey pillows were $5 at the Depot. I kind've hate the rug as is - it's a bit busy for my taste. I'm planning to find something (check my pinterest for obsessive ideas) that matches the aqua blue in the pillows and design around that. But for now, it's fun and functional - just what we wanted!

SO! The total porchvestment is...
Paint (3 gal Kilz+1 on hand): $60
Spackle (2 gal. Seriously): $20
Labor for sanding (thanks Rob!): $20
Flooring: $180
Furnishings: $270
= $550!

Our original budget was $1000 for flooring only, nevermind another $500-1000 for furniture. A little hard work and a bit of internet finagling goes a long way. And let's just take a trip down memory lane to see where the porch has been...






Many thanks to Chris' cousin Debbe for talking me down the "sectional porch sofa" ledge. This space is so small and strange that we just barely fit all this stuff in it! There's still a bit of a ways to go but the progress is there. I can go back to school tomorrow knowing that my summer was spent in a noble pursuit! Honestly, this is the first summer that I never got bored and antsy. Between this old house and these two wacky dogs, I've always got plenty to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment