Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Secret Dreams - My Clandestine Life as a CCL

We all have our own secret dreams, our own fantastic places where we hope to see ourselves someday. For me, an awakening of one type or another appeared last Thursday.

I wish I could be the Crazy Coupon Lady.

I was watching this show on TLC called 'Extreme Couponing.' It featured people (okay, women) who go out of their minds to find and use coupons to their benefit. One woman featured had a pantry/freezer that was so well-stocked that they lived off of it for three months while her husband was unemployed. These people dive in dumpsters, bother neighbors, and chase flying trash for coupons.

And you're shaking your head and laughing when the cashier's total goes from $250 to $6.

All those groceries for $6?! Just from coupons?! No. NO! What have I been missing! I've always thought myself a bit of a maven with internet coupon codes but this...this is insanity. And why haven't I been doing it.

One reason is that the newspaper has nearly become obsolete in our culture. One of our favorite friends is a newspaper reporter and I made the mistake of turning to Chris and saying, "Oh honey, we have a grill now, so we'll need to get a newspaper subscription" in front of him. He bemoaned the fact that a once prominent industry has now been condemned to a life of starting fires. No, I don't often use coupons at the grocery store. But I'm starting to try and find a happy medium between 'nothing' and 'crazy coupon lady.' Here's how:

- Emailing my favorite brands. I've emailed Stonyfield Farm, Chobani, Dannon, Quaker Oats and Blue Buffalo to tell them how much I love their products. Just find the place on the website where it says 'contact us.' Give them some sugar and they usually give some back to you in the form of great coupons. Don't tell them, but a few of them I've emailed more than once from different email accounts just to get more coupons...

- Coupon codes. Not great for groceries but a necessity for online shopping. I usually start at www.retailmenot.com - if they website you want isn't there, try signing up on the website's email list. I keep a seperate email account JUST for coupons and junk. 99% a 'welcome customer' email will have some coupon codes for free shipping in them.

- Following sale patterns - a tip from the CCL. Sales tend to rotate every three months so buy what you need now. Last week, I bought six boxes of Celestial Seasoning's tea while they were on sale, 3/$5. That should last me through the end of the school year at least.

- Online, printable coupons. Try sites like www.weusecoupons.com, www.couponcabin.com, and websites for your favorite brands. I make lists of what I know I'll buy along with the brand, print and go!

No comments:

Post a Comment