Monday, March 7, 2011

Dinner Out Tonight: Jimmy's Steer House

We had a tough Monday, and Chris convinced me that we should go out to dinner. After trying to hit up a little local place, only to find it closed on Mondays, we tried a restaurant that I've made fun of many times but never patronized: Jimmy's Steer House.

It bears repeating here that I hate 99% of restaurants. This never fails to drive Chris crazy. He can stroll in anywhere, order a plate of wings and a PBR, and be a happy camper. I, on the other hand, have a bizarre list of requirements for every restaurant that we visit:

1) It shouldn't be a chain.
2) It shouldn't have a 'theme'
3) You shouldn't be embarassed to order off the menu - aka, their entree choices are in English (who speaks Italian or French anymore??) and they aren't named something weird, like Big Bertha Bagarella's Mozzarella Burger.
4) It should have a parking lot. Street parking is unacceptable.
5) It shouldn't have common snacks where people can put their nasty germs - aka popcorn in a giant machine at the front. Gross.

And seriously, that's just five rules. I'm sure there are more. And there are exceptions to all of these rules, of course. I like some chains quite a bit, like All-American Joe's and Not Your Average Joe's (include my love of Trader Joe's and we might be onto something, here). I've asserted in the past that my favorite restaurant of all time is Kelly's Roast Beef. So all my time scoffing at the funny name of 'Jimmy's Steer House' felt well spent, knowing I would never eat there.

Rewind to us, sitting in the parking lot, saying, "Well, it's the only other restaurant besides IHOP that's open." We went in. The ambiance was great, our server was attentive and nice, and the food - the food! Chris had salmon and I had baked stuffed scrod. Both were delicious, and the scrod was stuffed with crabmeat as well as bread crumbs and vegetables. A great night out for two - my apologies to the unfortunately named Jimmy's Steer House. I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment