Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Tale of Two Ranges

Okay. I posted something on facebook last week about how I had purchased a new stove. Heck yes, I did. Our oven has been inconsistent since the day we moved in - set it to 375, for instance, and an hour later it will *beep* that it's heated and the temp is 150. I finally figured out that if you light one of the back burners it will eventually get to temp. I decided to get an oven thermometer and it's been a hassle ever since.

So while Chris was off last week, he asked if I wanted to go pick out a new one. Why not? There was a great appliance sale at a local shop and I was all for it. I picked the one I wanted and scheduled a delivery date. I paid the man and got excited. And then...

I found it for less money at another place. The local store refused to match a big-box store price so I went elsewhere with my buisness. However, the big-box store couldn't deliver it anytime I would be home. So out I strolled, shrugging my shoulders. I tried. Chris was stunned that I didn't go through with it but I'm not. Why, you ask?

You know, our parents leave us with interesting things. Mine instilled in me a Puritan need to wring the life out of anything before discarding it. My parents to this day are still using the washer and dryer that we used as kids. And why not? They still work great. I seem to recall us using a dryer at one point that required wedging a stick into the door in order to get it to work. But did it dry stuff? You betcha. All four burners on that oven still work and I usually can finagle the oven. I'll buy a new oven when it REALLY breaks. I stuck the $850 I almost dropped on that range into my savings account and I feel great about it.

But talk to me next time I bake something...I'll probably be cursing said Puritan tendencies. C'est la vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment