Monday, June 22, 2009

Our Story

Hi, I'm Emily. And he's Chris. I'm a teacher, and he's in finance. And we've been together a long, long time. Just about two years ago, we started feeling like it was time to start settling down and start thinking about marraige, children, and all of that normal growing-up stuff. Well, I started thinking about that. Chris started thinking about how many houses were for sale in our fine state of Massachusetts and how we should capitalize on a buyer's market! We started looking for our first home in the spring of 2007, and we found...nothing. 

I shouldn't say nothing. We found lots and lots of junk. Homes with front doors ripped off and feces smeared on walls. Homes built on top of giant bolders. Homes that had bathrooms completely encrusted in mold. You name it, we saw it. 

Finally, in March of 2008, we found two houses that we loved. Both were foreclosures and therefore in our price range. They both needed work, but nothing we were afraid to tackle. And both of our offers were outbid within a matter of hours. 

Spirits crushed, we rented another apartment and devoted ourselves to other things for the better part of a year. I focused on my career, and Chris focused on studying for the CFA exam. Once the exam was over, we reluctantly started the home search process again, with a new realtor and a bit of an attitude. It just seemed like this was never going to work out for us. 

But now, in June of 2009, we seem to have found the house that was made for us. Follow our blog as we try to purchase, upgrade, and carve out our little piece of the rock. Remember - no risk, no reward, right??

No comments:

Post a Comment