"Every consistently played fantasy sooner or later explodes into life."
- VonDoderer
- VonDoderer
My wonderful book-reading friend, Caitlin, suggested David James Duncan's The Brothers K to me right before our wedding. I devoured it in Mexico and vowed that our first son would be named Kincaid after the book's protagonist. Chris has hemmed and hawed about this for awhile but purchased me a copy of my own for my birthday, a move that I see as acceptance of my demand for nomenclature. I found this line in a chapter heading on Friday. It hit me like a ton of bricks. What we are living now is exactly what I have always imagined - our current life is my consistently played fantasy that has now exploded into existence. This line is like a tiny, fortune-cookie love letter to Chris and Penny that explains the depth and breadth of my committment to our family. This is my fantasy and I am lucky enough to watch it explode every day. From here, the are other, tinier fantasies that we are only beginning to consider, so keep an eye on our ever expanding American dream...
xoxo e
(I nearly posted this on my classroom blog...oops! Getting rid of my klutziness may be the one fantasy that never explodes...)
No comments:
Post a Comment