You may recall that we have a total of three closets in the house. Most of our storage got shoved out of sight - behind things, into corners, etc. My idea was to take Colombus day weekend and just go through everything - out with the old! Well, it did take Colombus day weekend. And it will take this weekend. And probably the next. Because we have so much CRAP shoved into about 700 sq ft up here that it's just about impossible to get through.
But in all this crap-sorting, we've found some treasures. A DVD I thought I lost years ago. Drawings from when the girls I nannied for were teeny tiny. Teaching materials from my UNH internship. And of course...
Wallace.
There are not many things that Chris and I argue about, but the location of Wallace is one of them. Mainly because he always shows up in a totally creepy, horror-film style way anytime I'm looking for something. Wallace is the racially ambiguous Cabbage Patch Kid that Chris has had since infancy. I'm sure his mom had to go to all-out war in the Christmas of 1983 to get one for her precious baby boy. It's something from his childhood that Chris just likes to know is around. Unfortunately, I'm the one who always finds it. Looking for sweaters? Oops, it's just Wallace. Hunting for ski clothes? Holy crap, it's Wallace. Awake at 4am? Look into the beady eyes of Wallace. He is at the same time everywhere and nowhere. I finally took him out of the back of our closet last weekend and threw him, in a fit of rage, into Chris' study. As I was cleaning his study last night, I found Wallace again ("AAAHH! WALLACE!"), bottom-first in the back of the closet, where I patiently but sternly said to Chris, "What (expletive deleted) are we going to do with (e.d) Wallace?"
Chris proceeded to ball him back up into his plastic grocery bag and stuff him, bottom side up, into the closet. Apparently Wallace is something we will never truly lose.
*As as side note, the fact that this doll is named 'Wallace' always makes me shake in my boots, reminding me of one of my most favorite and most tragically lost characters on 'The Wire' - oftentimes when I find Wallace, I will reenact this scene. Yes, there is language in here, so parents, ye be warned.*
This weekend, I'll keep plugging away. We had a last-minute shopping spree at Target last weekend for new bedding, curtains, living room furniture, etc, and much of it is going back. The red in our bedroom is so hard to match to another color. I'm working on organizational AND decorative solutions for both our bedroom and offices - check out my pinterest for ideas!
Oh, and here's a pic of the man himself. Wallace.
![]() |
| Note: I have never actually take Wallace out of his plasticy grave. I just realized that he is unclothed. Penny' s Santa suit was the closest thing I could find to fit him, for propriety's sake... |

No comments:
Post a Comment