Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Outdoor Updates



'Blog' has been on my to-do list for about three weeks now...sorry about that. With spring here and wedding in the mix, my time is spent either furiously busy or sleeping. The good news, though, is that we've gotten a lot done around the house!

First of all, we had to sort through an epic battle. Generous friends of ours donated a $100 Home Depot gift card and we had to decide: Wheelbarrow or Weedwhacker? I was voting weedwhacker because I hate the long grass on our hill in the back, and Chris can't mow it. Chris voted wheelbarrow and won. I can't complain, seeing as we didn't have to pay for it and I didn't even have to help with assembly...

The best part of this story is that from time to time, Chris would need my help holding something or twisting in bolts. I would sigh heavily and drag my feet over to where he was, eager to get back to my project weeding and planting my newly purchased annuals. After about an hour of grunting and swearing, he called my name again and I dropped the spoon I was using as a trowel. Ugh, not again. But what I saw was this:



Now tell me honestly that that is not adorable. We have been accused of having a 'Penny problem' but you know, there are worse things to be passionate about. She is so tolerant of our shenanigans.

In other news, I planted some osteosperum daisies in the front after a massive weeding project. As you can see in the pictures, we are far from finished with that. Our lawn is a carpet of dandilions that has yet to respond to mowing, chemicals, or verbal abuse. Chris is convinced that the only way to fix it is to get a rototiller and start from scratch. We've had great luck in the gardens with the Garden Weasel, but a rototiller scares me a little. Would have to get video of him running that for blog posting for sure!

I've also planted myself a little kitchen garden - parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano. I've abandoned my upside-down tomatoes for this year due to lack of space to hang it - hopefully next year on the deck!



Cross your fingers and hope that the grass grows! I'll leave you with one of our engagement photos taken here at the house, our first great love...

No comments:

Post a Comment